Monday, July 4, 2016

Fruit Tarts with Homemade Pastry Cream


Don't you just love all the pretty summer fruits & berries?!
I know I do!! Today's recipe uses some of those luscious
fruits on mini tarts filled with homemade pastry cream!!

Fruit tarts are perfect for Fourth of July parties, especially
the mini tarts that you can just pick up and go! These
are very easy to put together, and using the ready made
tart shells makes them look so professional!!

Pastry Cream is so delicious and takes just a few minutes
to make. Since it does need to chill before use, I usually
make it the day before I need it.

The recipe calls for 6 egg yolks, which will leave you with
6 egg whites. Instead of tossing them, I always make 
Meringues with mine! They're easy to make and after 
piping them, just sprinkle them with some patriotic 
colored sprinkles!

The best way I found to fill the tart shells is with a
piping bag. If you don't have one, you can always use
a sandwich bag. Just fill the bag with pastry cream, seal,
 then snip off a tiny bit at a corner and fill the shells. This 
goes so much quicker and with less mess!


I found some nice ripe cantaloupe and thought I'd like to 
use that in my fruit tarts as well. So I cut the melon in half, 
scooped out the seeds, cut slices about 3/4" deep then cut 
out shapes using my tiny flower shaped cookie cutter!
The color is so pretty!


I buy whatever fruit looks the best that day, wash and pat it
dry and arrange it by twos or threes depending on the size.
To give your tarts a professional look, brush fruit with 
some melted and strained apricot preserves or apple jelly.


FRUIT TARTS
WITH HOMEMADE PASTRY CREAM

2 boxes mini tart shells
berries/fruit of your choice
pastry cream
apricot preserves or apple jelly


PASTRY CREAM:
2 cups milk
1/2 cup white sugar DIVIDED
6 egg yolks
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
pinch salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Place the milk and HALF the sugar in a
saucepan over medium heat. Combine the egg
yolks and remaining sugar in a bowl and whisk
until light in color. Add the flour and salt, mix to
combine.

When the milk just begins to boil, remove from heat.
Very slowly dribble the hot milk into the yolk mixture,
stirring all the time. When about half of the milk has
been added, place all of the yolk mixture into the 
saucepan over medium heat. Using a spatula or a
whisk, mix the pastry cream as it heats, making sure
to reach all of the corners of the pan while stirring. 
Bring the mixture to a boil. Let boil for about one
minute, stirring constantly. The mixture will be thick.
Remove from heat and add the butter. Strain if you
wish for a smoother cream. Place into a bowl and
cover directly with plastic wrap to stop a skin from
forming on the cream. Chill and use within a few days.
**Recipe can be halved.

Place shells on a baking sheet, fill with pastry cream,
arrange fruits on top, brush with jelly and chill until
needed. Makes 32 tarts.


These are a perfect treat for any Patriotic party!!
Happy Fourth to all my American followers!!



7 comments:

  1. Summertime fruit tarts are sooo good - just made a big batch last week - which reminds me, I should post about it. They take a good long while to make (made the sweetshells too) but worth it! They were gone so fast, I want to make more because I only had one tiny bite!

    You always share the most beautiful foodie pics - I love visiting your posts!

    As always, thanks for your sweet comments - yes, we're soooo excited about our happy news! Whoo hoo!!!! Hugs! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweet Michele!!! Can't wait to see your fruit tarts! They do take a little while to make but are always appreciated!! I always cheat and buy the tart shells!! Hugs back to you my friend!!

      Delete
  2. This was too pretty not to pin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, these look delicious and they are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete