Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Lemon Bunny Scones for Spring



I'm so excited to share with you today some adorable and
delicious Lemon Bunny Scones! I wanted to try a new scone 
recipe and this one is my current favorite!! I love the bunny shapes 
and the pretty pastel colors - perfect for Spring Teas & Brunches! 

The scones are delicious & light, but what I loved was that they 
maintained their shape while baking so now I can use my cookie 
cutters and know that my scones will still be beautiful after baking!

First, I rolled my dough out to 1/2". Then I cut out 10
bunny shapes. There was a good deal of dough left but not 
enough to get but 2-3 more bunny shapes, so I decided to
make bunny tails!

I just rolled the dough out again and cut out 12 small circles
to be the "bunny tails." 

The directions said to bake them for 13-15 minutes. My oven 
took 10 minutes. Then I let them cool completely and dipped
the tops of the scones in a simple lemon juice/powdered sugar
glaze. I made the glaze in two colors - pink and yellow.

I didn't realize how quickly this type of icing can harden and
my sprinkles almost didn't stick so my advice is to dip the
shapes one at a time and use your sprinkles immediately.
For the bunny shapes I used Micro Mix Sprinkles from
Wilton. I loved these sprinkles with their pastel colors
and Springtime shapes. For the bunny tails I used some
shredded unsweetened coconut from Bob's Red Mill.


Lemon Bunny Scones
adapted from here

Ingredients:

2 cups AP flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp sugar
zest of 2 lemons
4 oz (1 stick) cold unsalted butter cut into small pieces
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 to 1 cup heavy cream

For Glaze: 
juice of 2 lemons
powdered sugar 
pink & yellow food coloring
pastel sprinkles
shredded unsweetened coconut

In a food processor put the first 4 ingredients in and pulse
a couple of times. Add zest and pulse. Add butter and pulse
until the butter is the size of "peas." Pour most of the cream
in and pulse. Keep adding small amounts of cream until the
dough comes together.

Dump mixture onto a lightly floured surface and knead until
smooth enough to roll out. Roll out to 1/2" and cut out your
shapes. Place shapes on a baking sheet about 1/2" apart
and place in the fridge for 15 minutes. This will help the
scones maintain their shape. Preheat oven to 425F.
Bake 10-15 minutes, depending on your oven.

While scones are cooling make a glaze by mixing
  powdered sugar and lemon juice until thick enough 
to spread, then add food coloring.  Carefully dip tops 
of scones in glaze, then immediately sprinkle with 
sprinkles or coconut.

So cute - don't you think?!

I'm joining Rose Chintz Cottage today for Tea Time Tuesday! 
Stop by for some cute Teatime ideas!

This is a really wonderful scone recipe! So light & scrumptious!!
Hope you give it a try!!




18 comments:

  1. Your bunnies look absolutely delicious!

    Happy day!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Madelief!! It's a wonderful scone recipe! Have a great week!! xo!

      Delete
  2. Your bunnies are cute and look delicious. Looking forward to trying some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beth! They really are the best scone that I've baked! xo!

      Delete
  3. Oh my, are these ever cute! They look delicious too. I love the soft colours and the bunny tails add to the fun. Thank you so much for sharing at Tea Time. I'm going to have to make these but I'll have to find a bunny cutter first.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ordered my cookie cutter through Amazon just so I could do these scones! They would be cute in other shapes too - maybe a teapot? Thanks for your sweet comments! Love your Tea Parties!! xo!

      Delete
  4. BTW, I tried your pink tapioca and posted about it at one of my tea parties. If you would like to check it out sometime, it was posted last November. Here is the link - http://sandimyyellowdoor.blogspot.ca/2013/11/pretty-in-pink-for-tea-time-tuesday.html

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know Sandi! I just looked at it - love the pink tea party!! xo!

      Delete
  5. Hello Tina, your treats today not only look amazing, they look delicious! What could be better than lemon bunny cookies? Yum!
    Hugs,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Terri!! I wanted to create a Spring themed scone and they are so delicious!! xo!

      Delete
  6. TOO CUTE oh my gosh how adorable.

    WOW, you sure get your scones to rise nicely. They have great "loft!"

    Well done, these are ADORBZ!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to try this recipe! They really are light & fluffy, but rich with the butter & cream! So good!!
      Thanks for visiting!! xo!

      Delete
  7. Those look wonderful! I'd love to find those at my tea table.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Ruth!! These will be found on my own tea table very often! So happy to have you visit! xo! Jina

      Delete
  8. I love these. They are adorable. Thank you for sharing such a different and fun recipe.

    Janet
    rosemary-thyme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were fun to make & decorate!! So glad to have you visit! I love your "Pink" post!! xo!! Jina

      Delete