Friday, March 28, 2014

Thumbprint Cookies with Pink Marshmallow Fluff Buttercream


Today I revisited a lovely Thumbprint Cookie Recipe that I
blogged about 2 years ago.  It's an Ina Garten Recipe with 
buttercream instead of jam, and sprinkles instead of coconut
that American Cupcake Abroad created. The sprinkles give
the cookies a fun & whimsical look that I love!

These cookies are delicious and crisp and perfect for
Springtime celebrations!! Let me show you how I
made them!

The cookie dough can be a little on the dry & crumbly side. Just
take your time when rolling the dough into balls because the warmth
from your hands will help the cookies not crack so much when you
make the indentation.

After you dip the cookie balls into the egg wash try to shake
the excess off so that you don't wet the sprinkles too much.

Gently press your finger or thumb into the middle of dough
balls. They will crack some, and you can either leave them
that way or pinch them back together. 

Bake the cookies, cool completely then pipe a swirl of 
buttercream into the indentation using a star tip.


                           Marshmallow Fluff Buttercream

                         2 sticks butter (salted and room temp)
                         3 cups powdered sugar (sifted if lumps)
                         1 7 oz Jar Marshmallow Fluff
                         1/4 cup Heavy Cream
                         1 tsp vanilla

                 Put all ingredients into mixing bowl, beat at 
              medium speed until smooth - about 3-5 minutes.



Thumbprint Cookies

Ingredients

3 sticks unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3 1/2 cups AP flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg beaten with 1 tbsp water (for coating sprinkles)
1 bottle sprinkles

(recipe above)

In an electric mixer cream together butter and sugar until
combined. Add vanilla.  In a separate bowl sift flour & salt.
With mixer on low add flour to butter mixture. Mix until
a dough forms. (my dough just remained crumbly)

Roll out a piece of cling film and dump dough on top.
Roll it together and pat down to form a disc. Wrap up
and refrigerate for 30 minutes. 

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with
parchment paper. Place beaten egg in a bowl and pour 
the sprinkles into another bowl. Form round balls that weigh 
1 ounce (28 g) (I used my smallest cookie scoop to measure
out my dough.)  Roll balls in egg wash then in sprinkles and
place on baking sheet. Make a light indentation in the 
middle of balls with your finger.

Bake 20-25 minutes until cookies turn lightly golden.
Place on a cooling rack and cool completely before
piping a small swirl (using a star tip) into the indentation
of each cookie. Store in an airtight container.


I made my cookies two ways - some with pretty Spring Colored Sprinkles
and some with shabby looking pink and teal sprinkles that I made
myself using white nonpareils and food coloring. You will need
a generous amount of sprinkles to roll the cookies in so just be
sure to have a full bottle or two of the sprinkles.

I actually buy my sprinkles in Bulk because I use so many
in my baking and I love to color coordinate them to the
recipe. 

Hope this gives you some inspiration today! 
So many possibilities! xo!



4 comments:

  1. I am always inspired when I visit you ~ everything you make is a work of art!

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so kind Carolyn!! It's so nice to have friends to encourage you! I do consider my baking an art and try to make everything pretty. Thanks so much for visiting!! xo! Jina

      Delete
  2. I was wondering these great to freeze with the butter cream? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would be fine to freeze them with the buttercream. Buttercream generally freezes well. I would probably not keep them in the freezer for more than 2 weeks. You could definitely freeze the unfilled cookies for at least a month!

      Delete