Thursday, March 13, 2014

Sparkling Cotton Candy Mints


Today I made Cream Cheese Mints for the first time. I recently
wanted to give it a try. Their site had a Mint Recipe so that's
what I used.

I was disappointed because the oil actually smelled more fruity, 
not like cotton candy at all. I wondered if maybe the labels got
mixed up? So, what I ended up with was more like 
Tutti Frutti Mints!

I bought a rose candy mold and thought it would make 
pretty mints!

The recipe is so easy, but I did have one issue with it - no, actually 2!
(I hope LorAnn doesn't read this post! LOL!)  The recipe said to use 
between 4 - 41/2 cups of powdered sugar. I used 4 cups and the mixture 
was so dry and crumbly that at that point I wasn't able to do anything with it. 
Having not made mints before, I wasn't sure what to do. I finally decided 
to add another ounce of cream cheese to the mixture, and that worked! 

My second issue with the recipe was that it said to use 5-6 drops of oil. 
I used that amount and couldn't taste much flavor - no Cotton Candy, no 
Tutti Frutti. After using 15 drops, there was a little more flavor. Now, 
I have to say that the recipe is for Peppermint Flavored Mints and
I'm sure that the mint is a stronger flavor.

I had no problem at all in forming the mints (after adding the additional 
cream cheese.)  I just used my measuring spoon - teaspoon size - to 
measure out the "dough." Next, I formed the dough into balls and 
dropped them in my pretty sanding sugar. Then I pressed the balls into 
my rose mold. They actually came out quite easy. After I
filled my mold I just turned it upside down and tapped 
it on the counter and the mints came right out!

Sparkling Cotton Candy Mints
(recipe adapted from here)

4 ounces cream cheese, softened
15 drops LorAnn Cotton Candy Oil
pink food coloring
4 cups powdered sugar
sanding sugar

With an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese until
soft, about one minute. Add the flavoring and food
coloring and mix until blended. Mix in the powdered
sugar 1/2 cup at a time until mixture is no longer
sticky. Form into small balls using 1/2 teaspoon of
mixture for each. Roll in sanding sugar and flatten
with tines of a fork or press into a mint mold.
Store Finished mints in airtight container in
the refrigerator.

There are LOTS of Cream Cheese Mint recipes on Pinterest. Some 
use 2 kinds of sugar and some use a bit of butter. There are butter
mints recipes too! You can check out my Mints board on Pinterest
for these recipes!


4 comments:

  1. Jina, these look absolutely delicious and I love how you filled the pretty cup up with them... just gorgeous! I have pinned them to my Pinterest board... here is the link for you http://www.pinterest.com/pin/43065740161287783/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got the same mold you used for this recipe... I think fate's telling me to try them :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mold was very easy to use with the mints!! So pretty! xo!

      Delete