Monday, February 10, 2014

Tiny Heart Shortcakes with Strawberries


I just made some cute little scones for Tea! The recipe came from a 
cookbook in my collection called HORS D'OEUVRES by 
Eric Treuille & Victoria Blashford-Snell.

These little two bite cream scones are topped with sweetened whipped cream 
and a strawberry half.  So yummy and the perfect size for Tea! I 
added a bit of pink food coloring to my whipped cream of course!


After the scones cool, pipe some whipped cream on each one.....

Top each with one half of a Strawberry.......
Finish with a sprinkling of powdered sugar!

Tiny Heart Shortcakes with Strawberries
from HORS D'OEUVRES

Ingredients:
1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
3 tbsp butter, diced
1 1/2 tbsp sugar 
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup cream

1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tbsp sugar
10 strawberries, halved
2 tsp powdered sugar for dusting

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Sift flour, baking powder & salt.
Crumble butter into flour with fingertips until mixture resembles
fine crumbs. Stir in sugar. With a fork, mix in the egg & enough 
cream to make a soft dough. Turn dough onto a floured surface
and knead lightly until smooth. Gently roll out to a 1" thickness
and cut out 10 rounds with a pastry cutter. Place rounds on a
greased & floured baking sheet. Bake until firm & golden,
8-10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.

Cut each scone in half!
Whip cream until it holds stiff peaks. Beat in the sugar.
Fill piping bag with cream. Pipe 3 small rosettes onto
each scone. Top with a strawberry and dust with
powdered sugar. Makes 20 scones.

I have to confess that many times I'll quickly read through a recipe and
miss something important in my haste! That is exactly what happened
in this recipe. As I was adding the recipe to this post, I realized that the 
recipe says to cut each scone in half after cooling! (This would make
your scone base thinner.) Will I ever learn?!
You could change these up by adding raspberries, blueberries or 
blackberries in place of the strawberries. You could also
add a kick of flavor to the whipped cream by adding a
tbsp or so of jam. You might create a pretty tray of
scones by using a variety of berries! 

These would be so cute for a Valentine's
Day Tea or any Tea! 



15 comments:

  1. I would love to sit down to a Valentine's tea with these tiny heart scones and the pink whipped cream and strawberries. So pretty, and feminine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judith!! They were really tasty & perfect with a cup of tea! Thanks for visiting!! xo Jina

      Delete
  2. Just wonderfully cute... I would love to have these for tea.. thank you for sharing the recipe.. its been a while with love janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Janice! I'll pop by your blog & say hello!! xo Jina

      Delete
  3. I LOVE this post -Gorgeous idea, love love love it. Beautiful pics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Michele!! You made my day!! xoxo Jina

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a feast for the eyes!! Your scones look so delicious. I have been pinning your gorgeous pictures for ages to my Pinterest boards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your sweet comments Linda and thanks also for following me on Pinterest!! xo Jina

      Delete
  6. Hello Tina,
    You have really treated us today with such a fine dessert to go with our tea! I love these little scone bites. They look so delicious. Your tea cup and tea pot are so lovely! Your entire post is romantic! Thank you so much for joining in Tea Cup Tuesday!
    Hugs,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! Your little heart scones look delicious and would be a perfect treat to have with a cup of tea. Love the teapot and your teacup is so pretty too. Thank you for sharing the recipe and joining me for Tea Time. Have a beautiful day, Jina.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh the heart scones look delicious... Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look delicious and I am sad we're in autumn here and there's not a strawberry to be seen! I shall have to think of some nice autumn fruit I can use instead. I love the basis of the idea - having tiny little scones. Just perfect for afternoon tea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jina,
    These are so pretty. They would be just right for the Mother Daughter Valentines Tea Party I co-hostess .
    Thank you for the inspiration,
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They would be perfect! (In my opinion, my recipe for the Lemon Bunny Scones was better than this recipe. You could just cut out hearts instead of bunny shapes and decorate them with berries & Whipped cream!)

      Delete
  11. I will look at the recipe thank you.

    ReplyDelete