Friday, December 5, 2014

How to Make COLORED POWDERED SUGAR - 4 Ways!


Today I am going to show you how to give your Holiday
Baking some sparkle!!  I'll show you 4 ways to color
powdered sugar, and with this trick you can color your
Mexican Wedding Cookies, Crinkle Cookies, Date Balls, 
Powdered Doughnuts or any other baked confection 
that you roll in or sprinkle with powdered sugar!!


The first way to color powdered sugar is by sifting together
 one teaspoon Petal Dust with one cup powdered sugar. 
Petal Dusts were developed for the Cake Decorating
Industry, are Non-Toxic and come in lots of pretty colors!!

I made 2 colors of powdered sugar for
examples - Cosmos (above) & Lilac (below.)

Below are 3 colors of Petal Dust:  Lime, Cosmos & Lilac.


The second way to color powdered sugar is to sift together
one teaspoon powdered food coloring with one cup powdered
sugar.  For both Petal Dusts and Powdered Food Coloring, 
you can add more or less color, depending on the shade 
you're trying to get. You'll have to sift together several times 
until the color is evenly distributed.

 In the picture below I sifted one teaspoon Emerald Green
powdered food coloring with one cup powdered sugar.
This is the lovely shade I got!

The third way to color powdered sugar is to mix one packet
powdered sugar.  These are fun! You not only get pretty
colors, but yummy flavors as well!! Here I made Pink
Lemonade and Mint Chocolate Powdered Sugars!

Just look at all the different flavors below - 
they give me endless recipe ideas!!


Finally, since powdered sugar is made from processing
granulated sugar, I thought I'd try it using colored sugar! 
So I took some pretty pink and aqua colored sugar that I had 
on hand, whizzed it in my food processor for one minute, 
and got the beautiful powdered sugar colors below!! 

Most purchased powdered sugar has a bit of cornstarch added in, 
but that's not really necessary here unless you're going to store yours 
for a while and not use it right away. This link has more helpful
information on how to make your own powdered sugar.

COLORED POWDERED SUGAR

1 cup (sifted) Powdered Sugar
1 tsp Petal Dust 
or 
1 tsp Powdered Food Coloring 
or
1 packet Frostings Creations Flavor Mix

Into a medium sized bowl, sift the ingredients
together several times until color is evenly
distributed.  Use immediately or place into
a jar with a tight fitting lid.

To make colored powdered sugar using
COLORED SUGAR SPRINKLES, simply 
place desired amount of colored sugar sprinkles
into a food processor or blender and blend
at full speed for one minute.  If it's not
powdery yet, blend another 30 seconds or
until it reaches the texture you want.
(1 cup colored sugar will yield 1 cup powdered sugar)

I've already used these ideas with some of my recipes
and will be sharing them soon, including my Pink &
Teal Crackles!

I hope this post inspires you to get creative with your
Holiday baking! I can't wait to get started! So many ideas,
so little time! Happy Baking!!





12 comments:

  1. Oh my word, this is just too interesting. Who knew? I think from now on my sweets will be extra pretty! Thanks so much for this helpful info!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michele!! I love that this trick is so easy too!! I'm thinking PINK Snowball Cookies for sure!! I love when you visit!! Pop by any time!!

      Delete
  2. Clever ideas! They all look so so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just recently found your blog and I love it! Everything that you make is so pretty! It makes me want to make a bunch of pretty stuff and have a tea party.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you found my blog Salinn!! That's exactly what I want to do here - inspire you to make pretty pastries! Please come back often!

      Delete
  4. Hello,
    I loved the process of making color powdered sugar. This post is too useful...Keep posting this type of interesting articles...
    powdered sugar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment Javier!! Suggestion noted!!

      Delete
  5. I love it! Thanks for sharing your wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! Could you bake with the coloured powdered sugar? Like maybe coloured shortbread......or coloured meringues?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you can! It's great for shortbread or meringues because it colors the mixture without adding any liquid. Thanks for your question!

      Delete