Saturday, February 7, 2015

How to Make LEMON TEABAG COOKIES & DIY TEA TAGS


I've been wanting to make Teabag Cookies for a while now
after seeing them on Pinterest, and since I didn't see a tutorial
for them I thought I'd make one for you.

They're really easy to make and if you were going to have
a little girl's Birthday Tea Party, this would be a fun activity!
You could have the cookies already made and have the girls
decorate them and make the tea tags.
Just roll out the dough and cut out teabag shapes. I got mine 
from cheapcookiecutters.com. I used the small end of a 
Wilton #12 tip to make the hole for the ribbon.
For the frosting I used Wilton Candy Melts! They worked really 
well for this project! Just melt them in your microwave and you're
ready to decorate!
Spread the frosting on the cookies - or dip them - whichever 
you prefer, and decorate with pretty sprinkles! To speed up the 
cooling/hardening of the chocolate I actually put my decorated 
cookies in the freezer for 5 minutes!  
(Because I just hate waiting!! LOL!)
I bought some Wilton Sprinkles that had these little lips
in them! So cute!!
These Teabag Cookies tasted as good as they looked! I used
a lemon shortbread recipe that I've used many times before.
So yummy!!

LEMON SHORTBREAD TEABAGS

Cookie Ingredients

1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon lemon zest (zest from 1 lemon)
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour

Frosting Ingredients

1 bag Wilton Pink Candy Melts
Assorted sprinkles to decorate

Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Cream butter & sugar in a large bowl. (I used my stand mixer)
Add lemon zest and blend well. With mixer on low speed, 
add flour a little at a time. Dough will be crumbly, so dump
it out onto a counter top or pastry board and work it
together by hand until smooth. Pat or roll dough out into
a rectangle that is about 1/2" thick. Cut into teabag shapes.
Arrange on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake 
20-25 minutes until bottom edges are just starting to
brown. Cool in pan for 10 minutes then remove cookies
to a wire rack to cool completely. Makes approx 28 
cookies (using a 3" cookie cutter.)

To Decorate

Melt pink candy melts in a microwave on 50% power
until soft, then stir to combine, (or use a water bath.)
Using a palette knife, spread some "frosting" on lower
 half of cookies. Decorate with sprinkles of choice.
Let frosting set before attaching the Tea Tag.

I thought this tutorial for DIY Teabag Cookie Cutters
was interesting!
The PDF for these sweet little Tea Tags are a free printable from
Everyday Dishes & DIY. I just printed the PDF onto some pretty 
pink polka dot paper that I had and - Instant Tea Tags!!

I've never really done a craft project on the blog, but I'm going
to attempt to show you how to attach the Tea Tag to the Cookie...
(using my daughter Abbie as a hand model! LOL!)
First, print your tags out onto some pretty paper.
Cut out the tags and punch a hole in the top
with a hole punch.
Next take a 16" length of pink ribbon, fold it in half,
and thread the loop end through the hole in the cookie -
(coming in from the back of the cookie.)
Holding the loop end of the ribbon with your left hand,
bring the loose end of the ribbon through the loop with
your right hand.
Catch the loose end of the ribbon with your left hand
and pull the ribbon up to tighten.
Thread the end of the ribbon through your tea tag and
tie a knot near the end of the ribbon!
Easy Peasy!!
I thought these turned out so pretty!
The perfect project for your next
Tea Party!! 






11 comments:

  1. Your cookies look like fun to make Tina! I will keep them in mind to make for one of my next tea parties.

    Have a good week!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my friend!! It's a great shortbread recipe no matter what shape you make them!! I always love your colorful tea parties!! xo! Jina

      Delete
  2. I love these. They are adorable. What a delightful idea.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these. They are adorable. What a delightful idea.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think these would make sweet favors. Thank you for the link to the printable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They would make great favors!! Thanks for all of your sweet comments!! xo!!

      Delete
  5. How many cookies does this recipe make?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicole! I got 28 cookies using my 3" cookie cutter. The amount you get depends on the size of your cookie cutter. Thank you!

      Delete
  6. Can these be made ahead and placed in the freezer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy! Yes, you can go ahead and bake them, then wrap the cooled cookies in foil or put them in a freezer bag. Remove cookies from the freezer the day of the party and let them come to room temperature before decorating.

      Delete