Wednesday, June 22, 2016

STOP!! Don't Toss that Chickpea Liquid!! VEGAN Meringues!

Did you know that the liquid drained from a can of garbanzo beans
 (aka chickpeas) can be whipped into a beautiful vegan meringue?! 
When I came across Alton Brown's recipe for Magical Mystery 
Meringues, I was blown away!!

  Aqua is Latin for water and faba is Latin for bean.  Aquafaba is
liquid drained from a can of garbanzo beans, and this liquid can be
whipped and used as a replacement for egg whites!! No way, you
say? Oh yes!! I tried it and was absolutely amazed!! It really
works and behaves like egg whites and what I made with mine
was perfect vegan meringues!!

When you make these be sure to use the low salt or no salt 
Garbanzo beans. The first time I made these I only had a
can of salted Garbanzos, and being eager to try this recipe
I went ahead and used them but they were really too salty!
(I ate them anyway!!!)

The directions for these meringues are just like making
them with egg whites. Beat together the ingredients in
the order listed and pipe or dollop onto a parchment 
lined baking sheet. The hardest part is waiting on them
to slowly bake!!


AQUAFABA MERINGUES
adapted from here

Liquid from 1 15oz can garbanzo beans (chickpeas) -
(low salt/no salt recommended)
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup sugar

Heat oven to 200 degrees F and line 4 half sheet pans
with parchment paper. 

In the bowl of a stand mixer using the whisk attachment
beat aquafaba liquid and 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar on
medium speed until foamy - about 2 minutes. Gradually
add in the sugar one tablespoon at a time followed by
the vanilla. Increase speed to high and beat to stiff peaks.
(this takes about 6 minutes.)

Place meringue mixture in a piping bag fitted with
your favorite tip - I used Ateco tip #849 - and 
pipe into half dollar sized rounds. Bake for 1 1/2
hours. Remove from oven, let cool for 5 minutes
and place in an airtight container. The amount 
you get depends on the size you pipe - I got 
approximately 160 cookies.

If you'd like to know more about the science of Aquafaba, just



2 comments:

  1. Hello , I made these meringues and they are amazing , the next day they were so soft, as if they were affected by humidity, did your meringues stay crispy? I wonder what I did wrong, I left them in the oven uncovered,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruthie! After baking these for 1 1/2 hours, I took them out, let them cool for 5 minutes, then put them in a ziplock bag. They stayed crisp for days after that. I know that many recipes out there for meringues say that you can leave them in the oven to dry out overnight. Maybe that doesn't work with these. I'll have to try it that way myself and leave another message here to let you know! Thanks for your question!! Jina

      Delete