Thursday, January 22, 2015

Orange Shortbread Madeleines

I've often thought it would be fun to bake shortbread cookies
in my Madeleine pan.  Then I ran across today's recipe in a
Southern Living Annual Cookbook.  I adore shortbread and
this recipe seemed perfect for this time of year. There's orange
zest in the cookie and in the icing and they are delicious with
a cup of Earl Grey!!
I decided to make these cookies in my mini Madeleine pan. 
Even though it's a non-stick pan, I still lightly buttered it. After 
baking I just tapped the pan lightly on the counter and the 
cookies popped right out!

Southern Living's recipe didn't include the orange icing drizzle, but
I wanted to make the most out of my lovely Pink Navel Oranges......

I just couldn't resist Pink Oranges!!

Use a fork or spoon to drizzle the icing evenly over the cookies.

The icing hardens after a few minutes which makes it easy to
transfer the cookies to a pretty plate or cake stand.




ORANGE SHORTBREAD MADELEINES
adapted from Southern Living Annual Recipes

For the Cookies:

1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sifted powdered sugar
zest from 1 large orange
1 teaspoon orange extract
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
cooking spray or butter for the pan

For the icing:

1 cup powdered sugar
zest of 1 large orange
enough juice from 1 large orange
to make icing of drizzling consistency


Cream butter; add sugar, beating at medium
speed of an electric mixer until light & fluffy. 
Add orange zest and extract. Stir in flour.

Press dough into madeleine molds which have
been lightly sprayed with cooking spray -
1 1/2 tablespoons of dough for the regular sized
madeleine pan or 1/2 tablespoon of dough for 
the mini madeleine pan. Bake at 325 degrees
for 20 minutes for the mini cookies, and
22-23 minutes for the larger cookies.
Invert onto wire racks to cool. 

Combine icing ingredients and drizzle 
over cookies.  Let dry & enjoy!



I love to go to Antique Shops and I recently found this pretty vintage 
Deviled Egg Plate for $3.25!! What a fun way to serve these
pretty cookies! Enjoy!!




12 comments:

  1. They look delicious Tina! Happy weekend!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  2. so pretty. Love that you used the devil egg platter to serve them, genius!
    Thanks
    nina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Nina!! So glad you stopped by!!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your question on Pinterest Nina! You were asking about something you could make 2-3 days in advance. One thing that you can always make ahead is SCONES. Go ahead & prepare them, but don't bake until the day you need them. Just keep them in the freezer, covered. You can serve them with a good Lemon Curd and some slightly sweetened homemade whipped cream - heaven!! I have 2 really good lemon scone recipes on the blog - or you can check out my Scone board on Pinterest. If you have a favorite Brownie recipe, you could make those ahead & keep in the fridge. Then when you're ready, cut them into little squares, pipe a little pink buttercream on top & serve in mini cupcake papers. My Carmelita Bars are fantastic - just make sure they are chilled for easy slicing. Also, my Thumbprint cookies can be made ahead & kept in the fridge for 2 days (filled.) If you have any other questions, just leave a message here! Thanks! Jina

      Delete
    3. That is so helpful. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I have wanted to have scones but wasn't sure how to go about it. Can I take them straight from the freezer to the oven? Or do I need to give them a little time at room temp before baking?
      Thank you for all your help and blog you have been a blessing to me,
      Nina
      Nina

      Delete
    4. Yes, you can bake them straight from the freezer - just add a minute or two to the baking time! Thanks for your kind words!! Hope your party goes well!!

      Delete
  3. Jina,
    That's wonderful news thank you, I was wondering if you have a blog post on tips for hosting a tea party?
    I was specifically wondering about invitations. We have 48 seats. Should I invite more than 48 people or should I invite only 48. If I over invite and they all respond . We have 2 couches and an over stuffed chair around a coffee table extra ladies could sit at. Is that appropriate?
    Any advice would help thank you
    nina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do need to do a post about hosting a Tea Party! I think I would stick to just 48 - you want everyone to be comfortable. If you need extra seating, you could put card tables in the next room with pretty tablecloths. I did a Bridal Tea in a home where there was a sitting area in the kitchen with a connecting dining room and den. I had tables in the kitchen, in the den and in the dining room. It was like a Tearoom for the day. We had pretty music playing and the desserts arranged on the Buffet/Sideboard. So fun!

      Delete
    2. Jina,
      Sounds great. Thank you for the advice.
      Nina

      Delete
  4. These madeline's look amazing. I have to give this recipe a try.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. These do look amazing. Another perfect delectable for afternoon tea. Earl Grey is my go-to-tea, I am looking forward to trying these.

    ReplyDelete