Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Fairy Gingerbread



I can never pass up any recipe with Fairy in the title so when I saw
this recipe for Fairy Gingerbread in my America's Test Kitchen 
Christmas Cookies Magazine, I had to try it! Maybe it's the kid 
in me but I think if you're going to make Fairy Cookies, they
must have sprinkles!

There were no sprinkles called for in the America's Test Kitchen's recipe,
but I thought they were lovely without any! These cookies were fabulous 
and full of flavor due to a couple of interesting ingredients - 
toasted ground ginger and grated fresh ginger.  They baked up 
crispy and light and wonderful! To make them, you have to spread
the "batter" really thin, and it helps if you have an offset spatula.

Spread a thin layer of batter on your parchment paper.

After baking, use a pizza wheel to score the cookies into 3"x2"
rectangles, cutting off the edges for a clean look.

I made some Royal Icing using this recipe, adding some
pink food color. I spread some icing on each cookie
then pressed it into some pretty spring colored sprinkles.
I thought they looked lovely!

FAIRY GINGERBREAD
Adapted from America's Test Kitchen

1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
5 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup plus one tbsp packed light brown sugar
4 tsp grated fresh ginger
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup whole milk, room temp

Adjust oven racks to upper middle and lower
middle positions and heat oven to 325 degrees. 
Spray 2 rimless baking sheets (or inverted rimmed 
baking sheets) with vegetable oil spray and cover each 
with 15"x12" sheet of parchment paper.

Heat ground ginger in small skillet over medium heat until
fragrant, about 1 minute. Whisk flour, baking soda, salt, 
and toasted ginger together in a medium bowl. Using
stand mixer fitted with paddle, beat butter and sugar on
medium high speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add
fresh ginger and vanilla and mix until incorporated.
Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture in 3 
additions, alternating with milk in 2 additions.

Using offset spatula, evenly spread 3/4 cup batter
(which is 1/2 of mixture) to cover parchment on each
prepared sheet (batter will be very thin.) Bake until
deep golden brown, 16 to 20 minutes, switching and
rotating sheets halfway through baking. Using a
pizza wheel, immediately score cookies into 3"x2"
rectangles. Let cookies cool completely on sheets.
Using tip of paring knife, separate cookies along
score marks and serve. 

  

With or without sprinkles, these cookies will bring
smiles to anyone who tries them! 
Even the Fairies agree! xo




6 comments:

  1. I love your blog posts. Thanks for sharing. I have never made mints either and your post on the cotton candy rose mints were very inspiring. I'm now wanting to try to make some. I always look forward to seeing what you try next!
    Happy Spring!
    Beverly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your sweet comments Beverly!! I love trying new recipes and it's so much fun to share the results! Thanks for following!! xo!! Jina

      Delete
  2. I love anything that says gingerbread and yours looks so yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love gingerbread any time of the year! It's too yummy to just make around the holidays!! I have another gingerbread recipe to share that's really easy! Can't wait! Have a great day!! xo! Jina

      Delete