Friday, August 28, 2015

Swirly Buttery Melty Mints


I have another fun and easy recipe to share with you today -
BUTTER MINTS! Those pretty little mints that you see at
Showers and Birthday Parties between the peanuts and 
the cucumber sandwiches!! Did you know that they are
crazy easy to make?? Let me show you how I made them!

Into the bowl of a mixer, place the sugar, butter, cream and
extract. Mix until it forms a ball. Easy peasy!! Then divide 
the dough into as many portions as you like and color each
portion. 

One word on the peppermint extract - start with a very small
amount, then increase to taste. The first time I made these I 
used just 1/4 teaspoon, but it was too strong for me. You want
these to be minty but not like Altoids! LOL!! Different brands
of extract will yield different results.
I decided to give my mints a marbled look. I did this using the
same technique as my Fairy Meringues.  Using a toothpick, I 
place lines of gel food coloring on top of one portion of the
dough and folded the dough in half. I kept folding and kneading
until it was pretty and marbled.

Next I rolled each portion of dough into a rope and cut the rope
into mint sized pieces with my dough scraper. Then I placed 
the mints on my parchment lined baking sheet and let them dry
uncovered overnight!



PEPPERMINT MELTY MINTS

4 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 tablespoons (half n half) cream
1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract
food coloring

Line a baking sheet with parchment. In a bowl
with a paddle attachment combine confectioners
sugar, butter, cream and peppermint extract. Mix
until it forms a ball.

Divide the dough into 3 or 4 portions and form each one 
into a ball. To color mixture add (one drop liquid food
coloring) or a tiny bit of gel color into one portion, 
kneading into dough evenly. Continue adding more
coloring until desired shade.  Repeat using a different color
for each remaining portion. To get the marbled effect,
flatten dough a bit then using a toothpick, place lines
of food coloring on dough. Then fold dough in half and
press down, then fold in half again and press down.
keep kneading until you get the desired effect.

Roll the dough into 1/2 to 1 inch diameter ropes. Cut
each rope into desired size pieces. Arrange the pieces
on the parchment paper and let sit uncovered overnight.
Once dry, store in air tight container. 


I couldn't believe how easy it was to make these buttery, melt 
in your mouth mints!! I also love that you can color coordinate 
them to the colors of your party! They're also great for favors!  
Your friends will be so impressed!! You've got
to try this!! xo!!





2 comments:

  1. Great idea! I love that you can custom make these to coordinate with the colors of your party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent recipe!!! Delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete