Monday, December 8, 2014

Chocolate Mint Chip Meltaways


Chocolate Mint Chip has always been my favorite flavor of 
Ice Cream, so when I discovered that Duncan Hines had
created a Mint Chocolate Frostings Creations Flavor Mix,
I knew that I had to make a wonderful cookie with it!!

One of my favorite cookie recipes is Martha Stewart's 
Lime Meltaways, so I started thinking about how I could
rework the recipe replacing the Lime juice with the
Chocolate Mint flavoring.
I had already tried the Duncan Hines Cotton Candy Flavor Mix
in my recipe for Cotton Candy Meringues, and they turned out
wonderful!! This recipe turned out wonderful as well, and
couldn't be easier to make!  It's a yummy Slice & Bake
cookie that literally melts in your mouth!! So good!!
The recipe takes only minutes to make! I made the
dough the night before, then when I wanted to bake the 
cookies I just let it rest on the counter for a few minutes 
so that it would slice nicely.

After baking the cookies, I tossed the cooled cookies in 
 Mint Chocolate flavored powdered sugar. I made it by sifting a
pack of the Mint Chocolate Flavor Mix with one cup sifted 
powdered sugar.
If you've stopped by the blog this week you know that I've
been experimenting with colored & flavored powdered sugar.
If you haven't seen my post on How to Make Colored Powdered Sugar  
please check it out! 
These cookies are REALLY REALLY GOOD.....
but you have to watch out for COOKIE THIEVES!!

If you wanted a different flavored cookie, just substitute a
different flavor for the Mint Chocolate.  For example, you could use a
Chocolate Almond Flavor Packet and add some chopped almonds
instead of the chocolate chips! Oh, the possibilities!!



CHOCOLATE MINT CHIP MELTAWAYS
Inspired by Martha Stewart

Ingredients:
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, room temperature
1 1/3 cups powdered sugar
1 tbsp milk
1 3/4 cups plus 2 tbsp All Purpose Flour
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 cup mini semi sweet chocolate chips

Directions:

Put butter and 1/3 cup powdered sugar in the
bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk
attachment, and mix on medium speed until pale
 and fluffy. Add one packet of the mint chocolate
flavor mix and 1 tbsp milk and mix until combined. 

Whisk together the flour and cornstarch in a bowl.
Add to butter mixture, and mix on low speed until
combined. Stir in one cup chocolate chips.

Divide dough in half. Place each half on an 8 by 12 inch
sheet of parchment paper. Roll in parchment to form a 
log approximately 1 1/4 inches in diameter. Refrigerate
logs until cold and firm, at least 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove parchment from
logs and cut into 1/2 inch thick rounds. Space rounds
1 inch apart on parchment lined baking sheets. Bake
cookies for 13 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire racks
to cool slightly, at least 10 minutes. 

Sift remaining 1 cup powdered sugar with 1 packet
mint chocolate flavor mix.  In a bowl, toss still warm 
cookies with powdered sugar mixture until coated.

Cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to 
2 weeks. Makes approximately 3 dozen cookies.

You could make several flavors of these cookies to
give as Christmas gifts, or give them unbaked in log
form - wrapped first in cling wrap, then in Parchment 
paper. Tie both ends of parchment paper with some 
pretty holiday ribbon, (write the name of the cookies
and how to bake them on the parchment before 
wrapping.) Or get fancy and make a pretty label!

Hope you give this recipe a try!! It's a scrumptious 
and easy Holiday Cookie!!




9 comments:

  1. What a clever way of making cookies! Mint chip is one of my favorite flavors too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Cory!! I think you will really like these cookies!!

      Delete
  2. Your cookies look delicious! Love the colour!

    madelief x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Madelief!! They are really tasty!! Thanks for visiting!!

      Delete
  3. Oh thank you! I just found my 3rd and final kind of cookie for the holidays - and to share at my swap.

    You are such amazing inspiration and make the most beautiful sweeties! : - )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Yay!! I love Cookie Swaps!! Thanks so much for your kind words!! You made my day!!

      Delete
  4. Wow! I love lemon meltaways and I definitely have to try your version!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really good!! If you can't get the Duncan Hines Flavor Creations where you are, you could use a bit of food coloring and peppermint extract, then just toss the cookies in plain powdered sugar. Thanks for visiting and hope you have a wonderful Holiday!!

      Delete
  5. They look amazing and I bet they taste so delicious!

    ReplyDelete