Saturday, November 26, 2011

Abbie's Autumn Tea and a Pumpkin Spice Shortbread Recipe

Today my daughter Abbie and I had a mini tea party together. She had been after me to have a tea party, but I had been busy with Thanksgiving preparations. So today, since my husband and son had gone on an excursion together, Abbie and I decided to try a new shortbread recipe and make some Pumpkin Spice Tea.
The recipe we tried today came from Melanger Baking. It is a "Melt 'n' Mix Custard Shortbread." The recipe calls for an ingredient called custard powder. We don't have custard powder here, but you can substitute instant pudding mix. And since I happened to have some Pumpkin Spice flavored instant pudding mix, that is what I used!

The cookies were so easy to prepare. As the recipe title says - you melt the butter and mix the rest of the ingredients, put it in a baking dish and voila, 30 minutes later you're having tea & cookies!

The Pumpkin Spice Tea was really good and perfect for this time of year.

Love the cat creamer! And, speaking of cats......

Oh, my, here comes an uninvited guest to the party!

Our kitty likes her tea with lots of cream!

Thanks for visiting and if you'd like the recipe, just click the link above. If you want the Pumpkin Spice version, just substitute Pumpkin Spice Jello Instant Pudding Mix for the custard powder. It's really tasty!

Update........


I noticed that I didn't have any closeups of the lovely shortbread - I was too busy getting pictures of Miss Abbie. This turned out to be some of the best shortbread I had ever made, but with one additional secret.

After I had baked my shortbread and let it cool on a wire rack, it was still a bit moist inside. Some people don't mind that, but I like my shortbread with a bit of snap!  So, the next day I put the shortbread back on the wire rack, put the rack on a baking sheet, and baked it again at 325 degrees for 20 minutes, let them cool and.... 

They were perfect! The Pumpkin Spice Instant Pudding Mix gave them such a nice flavor and color! You could try all the different flavors of instant pudding mix in these or just use cornstarch in place of the pudding mix and add your own blend of spices! Another note - when I took my cookies out of the oven the first time, I sprinkled them liberally with sugar to give them that nice sparkle!
Have a great week!

10 comments:

  1. THis is absolutely fantastic in every single way. What a beauty she is!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how absolutely PRECIOUS!!!!! the cutest post ever!!!! picture perfect! looks like Miss Abbie had a special tea for sure!!!! sending hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH! How wonderful! Abbie looks like she is having an "I feel special" time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to try the shortbread because it sounds delicious - but - the tea party with your daughter is beyond precious. Oh how I wish I could have a tea party re do with my Isabelle!
    Hugs,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. SUCH A LOVELY TEA PARTY....WISH I COULD HAVE JOINED...THE PUMPKIN SHORT BREAD LOOK WONDERFUL..I NEVER HEARD OF THE custard powder EITHER...WOULD LOVE TO TRY THIS RECIPE..THANK YOU FOR SHARING ... YOUR LIT GIRL IS BEAUTIFUL...HAVE A GREAT DAY...WITH LOVE jANICE

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable my friend...your daughter is as cute as can be....what fun memories you are making.
    Thank you for sharing such JOY! I use to have tea parties with my 3 girls...I still do but we go out now. xoxoxooxox Happy creative weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jina
    Love these shortbreads they look great!! I like mine crispy too. Hope your well, you haven't posted in a while.

    T&T :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh, Jina! little Abbie isn't so little anymore! ♥ what a beautiful girl she is - and what a delight to share a special tea together! thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello! My first time visiting - leaving a smile and loving this playlist of yours. I feel like I'm in a chic French cafe eating pastries and sipping tea. Have a great day

    ReplyDelete